Theory of Change: Learning how to measure project and organisational impact
This CPD accredited e-course aims to train and upskill professionals across all levels of seniority in building feasible and ambitious evaluation plans for their projects or organisations. As such, this course will introduce you to the Theory of Change (ToC) model to guide your programme evaluation. At the end of the course you will know how to build a ToC for your own programme, monitor it and help others to do the same.
The e-course was put together by an expert team from the RJ4All International Institute and the Policy Institute at Kings College London. It has been independently assessed by CPD evaluators, and is accredited.
Learning objectives of this e-course
- Introduce participants to the concept of evaluation, its importance and applicability in social programme delivery.
- Guide participants in developing a critical understanding of elements of process and impact evaluation, when to use which and how to use both in a complementary manner in their work environment
- Upskill participants in the development of a Theory of Change model, setting out the intended outcomes of projects and how resources can be allocated to lead to those outcomes.
- Introduce and train participants on establishing research questions an evaluation can answer, and how to identify indicators that enable to demonstrate the desired impact.
- Increase the overall skills and knowledge of evidence-based decision-making in the third sector by integrating robust and comparable evaluation methods and their implementation into the design of activities.
- Increase the critical understanding of evaluation claims across practitioners who develop a nuanced understanding of realistic claims when synthesis their own evaluation reports at the end of a programme cycle.
- Practise the learning through a ‘step by step’ workshop that encourage participants to build their Theory of Change as they progress through the course and test the overall knowledge, skills and experience through a CPD accredited test.
Successful completion will lead to CPD (Continuous Professional Development) Certification. Where young people take part and are registered with one of our Erasmus+ funded projects, YouthPass Certification is also provided. The e-course can be paused and completed in your own time. The e-course runs for 2hours plus 0.5hours break (optional). There is an advance reading time (1hour) and follow up studying (5 hours).
- Professionals across all levels of seniority.
- Managerial staff overseeing budgets.
- Young people interested in programme theory
- Board members of non-profit organisations overseeing budget decisions.
- External partners of non-profit organisations.
- Researchers and evaluators.
RJ4All is pleased to offer this e-course at the subsidised cost of £20. We use these funds to support our Balancing Power Youth Programme including our COVID19 emergency relief project, and we do not make any profit.
For purchasing multiple accounts, the following discounts are offered:
- 1 account £30
- 3 accounts 5%
- 5 accounts 10%
- 15 accounts 12%
- 20 accounts or more 15%
For group purchases, please email RJ4All courses & publications firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44(0)7955728951.
This e-course is free for all RJ4All interns and volunteers. Please email email@example.com to gain your free access.
Introductions and objectives
Module 1: Learning about evaluation
Module 2: Types of Evaluation
Module 3: Developing a Theory of Change
- Developing a Theory of Change
- What a ToC can and cannot help to do
- Let’s put our knowledge into practice
- Creating a Theory of Change
- Step 1: Situation and Aims
- Step 2: Outcomes
- Step 3: Impact
- Step 4: Activities and Outputs
- Step 5: Inputs
- Step 6: Rationale and Assumptions
- Additional resources